Friday, September 3, 2010

Close to Mom's Recipe

 Long time ago, Mom used to make the best-est Lemon Bundt Cake in the whole world.  Really heavy, really dense, made with Apricot Nectar, lots of Lemon Glaze.  In the decades since she's passed, I've never found anyone who has heard of it.  Tonight, the thought of that cake, while I was sitting at the computer caused me to 'Google it'.  After several tries I came upon the following recipe which is pretty close to what she used.  She always insisted on 'Duncan Hines' brand Lemon Cake Mix.  I don't know why but that's what she always used and made me pick up at the grocery store.  The secret of this cake is Apricot Nectar and how the glaze is applied.  As you can see, it's a very 'rich' cake, to say the least.  It is the best.  Trust me, I know what I'm doing.........

Apricot Lemon Bundt Cake
-------------------------------------------------------------
Serves/Makes: 12  (What?  I see 4, maybe 5 big pieces here......) 
Ready In: 1-2 hrs

Ingredients:

***Cake***

1 cup apricot nectar

1/2 cup sugar

3/4 cup oil

4 eggs

1 lemon cake mix (Mom always insisted on Duncan Hines brand)

***Frosting***

1 1/2 cup powdered sugar

Lemon juice (enough to thin the sugar)

Directions:

Mix all cake ingredients on medium speed for 2 minutes.

Bake in a well greased bundt pan at 350 degrees (or dark pan at 325 degrees) for 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Make frosting: Mix sugar with enough lemon juice to make desired consistency and drizzle over finished cake after cooling.  (Mom would pour glaze on, take a toothpick and poke holes all over the 'top' and pour on more glaze.  That way the glaze would also be inside the cake).  Very rich, very good....

Try it and let me know what you think

2 comments: