Saturday, September 24, 2011

Finally!

For the past 20 years or so, I've always wanted to see B.B King at a live concert.  He's a great blues player, a great icon.  He's probably an action figure by now!  I remember years ago, when son Dan was waiting tables next door to the Newport Music Hall in Cowlumbus.  B.B. King had just given a concert and at the end came into that restaurant.  Dan waited on him and was thrilled to do so.  Said he was a great customer and very friendly.  B.B. King gave him a 'Lucille' lapel pin.  Dan gave it to me 'cause he knew how much I like his music.  I was so jealous.  For an instant, I wanted to be there waiting on him.  Years later, my good friend Andy showed me a video of U2's "Rattle and Hum" when B.B. King played with them.  In it, B.B. King says, "I'm horrible with chords, I don't play chords".  U2's Bono said, "We'll get 'The Edge' to play chords".  I never thought of B.B. King not playing chords, just never entered my mind but, yes, he don't do chords.  Anyway, a few years back, he was playing at the Ventura County Fair but it was one of those 'first come, first seated' kind of deals and I would have to have been sitting all day, keeping my seat in order to see him.  Not!  So, more years go by and then I realized that one of us, him or me, were gonna die before I see him if I don't do something soon.

Yesterday, I got two tickets for Charlene and Me to see him in Santa Barbara at the end of November.  Finally!

3 comments:

  1. I co-produced a QUBE special on him years ago. What a nice guy. Got to see him at a jazz club in Seattle years later and he gave me a t-shirt.
    Eat your heart out:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Die you evil Sister, Die!
    ....lil' Brother

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet!! We went to the Puyallup Fair a week and a half ago, saw Weird Al. Did I mention during the concet at one point he sat in my lap and sang to me? HELLOOOOO!!! It was a blast. I have a Fair Food blog post coming soon.

    ReplyDelete