Monday, June 6, 2011

Project Moonwatch Part II

Earlier, I wrote a blog about my involvement in the International Geophysical Year of 1957-1958.  I was part of the civilian Satellite tracking organization known as Project Moonwatch.  If you haven't read it yet, please do by scrolling down in this blog below "Death of Blue" and "Early Apartment White Banished".

This is Part II or rather an update.  I had last Friday and this Monday off and today I received a package in the mail from the Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland.  If you read my blog, you would know that the accolades I received, the certificate and lapel pin were lost in a terrible flood the following year.  Well, Daughter Shelley contacted NASA and they did the best they could to replace them, fifty-three years later.  It brought tears of joy as I read the cover letter and replacement certificate.  They even gave me the latest lapel pin from the International Heliophysical Year 2007.  Of course they couldn't replace the original "IGY Moonwatch" lapel pin but this is just as great.  I've scanned the cover letter, the certificate and the lapel pin.

I have to stop while writing this and dab a hanky on my cheeks to dry the tears of joy.  And the tears of sadness, remembering Mom and Dad.  I miss them even more today.......  Live Long and Prosper.  A very special "Thanks" to Daughter Shelley for going "Above and Beyond the Call of Duty" as a daughter.  And thanks to Dr. Joseph Davila of the Goddard Space Flight Center.

Here's the 3 scans.  Remember to click on each to see the larger version, then use your browser's "Back" button to return here.















6 comments:

  1. Yay! I didn't want to say anything in case he didn't come through. Dr. Davila was a great sport as I felt like a crazy person explaining I was trying to track down paraphernalia from over 50 yrs ago! Finally found him after a wild goose chase that spanned various Observatories and government agencies. I'm so proud that my Dad was involved in something so cool. +50 Geek points to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, very sweet....you sure she's really yours?

    LOL jk I learned from a professional a$$hole you know... : )

    Seriously that is super cool and one of the most thoughtful Father's day gift's I've ever heard of.

    Bravo and hats off to Shelley! ......Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can hardly see the keyboard through this annoying dampness clouding my vision...Wow Shelley, that was SO F*&%ING COOL! But Kelly deserves it. We like him.
    Sarita

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! Shelley you are The Queen of Brilliance & Goodness!!! Happy Father's Day, Kel. You deserve all the accolades, certificates and more.

    Love,Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so lucky I was here when Kelly opened the package today. This was the absolute best Father's Day gift ever! Thank you Shelley! We were all blown away by the thoughtfulness! And...Dr. Davila, if you read this post, thank you so much for putting together this package for my husband. This means so much to him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shelley's the best - and so are you! What a great fam we have!!! Great post.

    ReplyDelete