Friday, July 1, 2011

Jonathan Goldsmith

 
I just love the “Dos Equis” beer commercials.  Very funny, very different.  What’s really a hoot is the Mexican actor that plays the part.  Funny because he’s not Mexican, not even Hispanic.  He was born in New York to a Jewish family.  His mother was a model and his father, a high school track coach.  He attended Boston University and later moved to Hollywood.  He started in numerous Westerns and TV shows.  In the 1990’s, he separated from his wife and moved to a sailboat in Marina Del Rey, west of L.A.  While there, he became a great friend and sailing partner with the late Fernando Lamas.  It is “Fernando’s” voice his uses in the Dos Equis commercials.  Here’s some of the announcer’s lines from “The Most Interesting Man in the World” Dos Equis commercials:
  • "He once had an awkward moment, just to see how it feels."
  • "He's won trophies for his game face alone."
  • "His mother has a tattoo that reads 'son'".
  • "At museums he is allowed to touch the art."
  • "Sharks have a week dedicated to him."
  • "He can speak French, in Russian."
  • "He bowls overhand."
  • "He once punched a magician. That's right, you heard me."
  • "Both sides of his pillow are cool."
  • "If he were to pat you on the back, you would list it on your resume."
  • "When in Rome, they do as he does."
When “The Most Interesting Man in the World” does speak, he gives advice, such as:
  • On Life: "It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary."
  • On Self-Defense: "The right look should suffice." [Gives an intimidating stare]
  • On Manscaping: "I have no idea what this is."
  • On The Gym: "Running in place will never get you the same results as running from a lion."
  • On Speed Dating: "I assure you, most women would not consider speed a virtue."
  • On the Two-Party System: "The after-party is the one you want to attend."
  • On Rollerblading: "No."
  • On Packages: "Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pocket, you better use 'em to call a tailor."
  • On Going Dutch: "When you pay only for yourself, you usually get what you pay for."
  • On Language: "Unless our whole conversation is to be in Spanish, don't lead out with 'hola'."
And, of course, he always ends the commercials with:
  • "I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis."
  • "Stay thirsty, my friends."

3 comments:

  1. Kelly!
    Your Blog Page is so cool! How much can I pay you to teach me how to do this?!
    My first question is: ?How do I create a second blog page? (not Angele's) (this one is for the company (PAWS)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love this guy, this ad! When an hispanic ad exec from Mad Ave first saw the commersh, he thought #1- Wish I'd done that! and #2-I'd SWEAR that guy was hispanic...he looks just like my Uncle Raoul! Yup a great ad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What i wana know is if he can or cannot real speak spanish

    ReplyDelete